Call for candidates – 27th Vis MootPublicado em 16/08/2019 às 05:04 PM
GEArb UFSC announces the instructions for its selection process for the composition of the UFSC Team for the 27th Willem C. Vis International Commercial Arbitration Moot, the VIS MOOT!
The Vis Moot is currently the biggest international arbitral tribunal competition for law students in the world! If you are an undergraduate at UFSC and enjoys challenges you shouldn’t miss this opportunity! Participating in the Vis Moot is an unique experience that allows students to get in touch with different cultural backgrounds and with the international arbitration praxis. In 2020 UFSC will be participating in the competition for its third consecutive year and you can be part of it!
GEArb at Compete WeekPublicado em 26/05/2019 às 03:22 PM
On May 13th, GEArb had the opportunity to give one of the workshops promoted during Compete Week. The Compete Week is an event held by UFSC Compete, the entity that gathers the UFSC competition teams.
In the occasion, Ana Paula Roberti Cristofolini and Marco Antonio Ferreira Pascoali, two of our members, made a presentation under the title “Why are companies running away from State Courts?”, giving the audience basic notions on arbitration.
We thank everyone that attended the event and also UFSC Compete for the invitation.
SchedulePublicado em 08/05/2019 às 09:41 PM
The UFSC International Arbitration Study Group meetings will be held on Thursdays, from 5:15pm to 6:30pm, in classroom 003 at the UFSC Law School building Check out our schedule:
09/May – Subjective and objective arbitrability
– “A extensão da Convenção de Arbitragem a “terceiros” com base na teoria do grupo de companhias: uma análise da lei aplicável, da sua utilização em casos internacionais e da sua recepção pelo ordenamento brasileiro” – Article by Rodrigo de Oliveira Franco
– Trelleborg case judgement
– ParanáPanema case judgement
– Minister Luis Felipe Salomão’s vote
16/May – Arbitration and public administration
– “A Arbitragem envolvendo entes estatais na jurisprudência do STJ” – Article by André Vasconcelos Roque
– “Administração pública: arbitragem e confidencialidade” in REVISTA DE ARBITRAGEM TOMSON REUTERS. OUT . DEZ 2017. REV. N 53
– “A arbitragem no direito administrativo” in REVISTA DE ARBITRAGEM TOMSON REUTERS. OUT . DEZ 2017. REV. N 54
23/May – Arbitration agreement
– “Cláusula Arbitrais Ambíguas ou Contraditórias e a Interpretação da Vontade das Partes” – Article by Selma Ferreira Lemes
– “Desafios e cuidados na redação das cláusulas de arbitragem” in BASSO, Maristela; POLIDO, Fabrício Betini Pasquot. Arbitragem Comercial: princípios, instituições e procedimento – a prática no CAM-CCBC. 2013, p. 93-130
– Recurso especial Nº 1.569.422 – RJ (2015/0177694-9)
– ‘Chapter 1: Choosing the method’ in Jan Paulsson, Nigel Rawding, et al. (eds), The Freshfields guide to arbitration clauses in international contracts, pp. 1-15
30/May – The kompetenz-kompetenz principle
– “Os efeitos da Convenção de Arbitragem – Adoção do Princípio Kompetenz-Kompetenz no Brasil” – Article by Eleonora Pitombo
– “ARBITRAGEM – Cláusula compromissória – Nulidade – Partes que estabeleceram expressamente a previsão da solução de litígio por juízo arbitral com estabelecimento de lei de regência estrangeira – Aplicação do princípio kompetenz-kompetenz que se evidencia” in REVISTA DE ARBITRAGEM TOMSON REUTERS. JAN . MAR 2018. REV. N 56 P. 469
– Challenge and Replacement of Arbitrators in Nigel Blackaby, Constantine Partasides, et al., Redfern and Hunter in International Arbitration, pp. 258-278
06/June – Collection of evidence
– “A prova pericial no processo civil e na arbitragem” – Article by Francisco Maia Neto
– “Condutas e procedimentos” in BASSO, Maristela; POLIDO, Fabrício Betini Pasquot. Arbitragem Comercial: princípios, instituições e procedimento – a prática no CAM-CCBC. 2013, p. 253-286
– “Algumas observações sobre a produção de provas nas arbitragens nacionais e internacionais” in REVISTA DE ARBITRAGEM TOMSON REUTERS. JAN . MAR 2018. REV. N 56
– Procedure and Evidence in International Arbitration, pp. 743-770
13/June – Responsability of arbitrators
– “Poderes-deveres dos árbitros no exercício de sua atividade jurisdicional” in BASSO, Maristela; POLIDO, Fabrício Betini Pasquot. Arbitragem Comercial: princípios, instituições e procedimento – a prática no CAM-CCBC. 2013, p. 221-249.
– “O árbitro é (mesmo) juiz de fato e de direito? Análise dos poderes do árbitro via-a-bis os poderes do juiz no novo Código de Processo Civil” in REVISTA DE ARBITRAGEM TOMSON REUTERS. OUT . DEZ 2018. REV. N 54
– Abengoa case analysys by Leandro Godoy, available here.
27/June – Arbitration awards and nullity
– “Os meios de correção e invalidade da sentença arbitral, de acordo com a jurisprudência do Superior Tribunal de Justiça” in REVISTA DE ARBITRAGEM TOMSON REUTERS. OUT . DEZ 2018. REV. N 59
04/July – Enforcement of foreign arbitral awards
– “Homologação de sentença arbitral estrangeira anulada na sede” in REVISTA DE ARBITRAGEM TOMSON REUTERS. OUT . DEZ 2017. REV. N 53
– “Da homologação de sentença arbitral estrangeira no Brasil e a ordem pública nacional” in REVISTA DE ARBITRAGEM TOMSON REUTERS. JAN . MAR 2018. REV. N 56
– “Reconhecimento e execução das sentenças arbitrais estrangeiras” in BASSO, Maristela; POLIDO, Fabrício Betini Pasquot. Arbitragem Comercial: princípios, instituições e procedimento – a prática no CAM-CCBC. 2013, p. 395-418
Texts are available here.
Results at the 26th Vis MootPublicado em 05/05/2019 às 05:21 PM
After six months of intense preparation, the 26th Vis Moot happened from April 12th to April 18th 2019, in Vienna. Participating in the moot for the second year in a row was an amazing experience for the UFSC team.
In the oral hearings, the team achieved the 105th position out of 372 universities from all over the world! Such result could not have been reached without the help of the people that shared this path with us throughout the last months. Thank you to everyone that supported us.
Moreover, we cannot forget to thank the Extension Dean (PROEX) for the financial support given. Thank you!
Competition teams catalogue launchingPublicado em 06/04/2019 às 07:14 PM
Last Wednesday (April 3rd), GEArb attended the launching of the new edition of the UFSC competition teams catalogue. In the event, GEArb’s coordinating professor, Aline Beltrame de Moura, and Juliana Blanco, member of GEArb, received the new edition of the catalogue from the Magnificent Rector, Ubaldo Balthazar.
We thank the UFSC Extension Dean (PROEX) and UFSC Compete for the invitation and support.
GEArb UFSC amongst the best teams at CAEMPPublicado em 06/04/2019 às 07:10 PM
The UFSC Team, formed by law students that are part of GEArb (International Arbitration Study Group), coordinated by Professor Aline Beltrame de Moura, participated in the 5th CAEMP, Competição de Arbitragem Empresarial, held at the Pontificial Catholic University of Rio Grande do Sul, in Porto Alegre, from March 22nd to March 24th, 2019.
26 teams formed by law students and attorneys from all over the contry participated in the competition.
Our team was formed by the following UFSC law students: André Xavier, Bruno Benato, Gabriel Masiero, Marco Pascoali, Mario Guedes, Murillo Preve, Paulo Ribeiro, Thiago Ferreira and Vitor Esmanhotto.
Professor Orlando Neto, postgraduate student Vanessa Brand and the attorneys Filipe Senhorinha Röse and Gianluca Moser helped us prepare for the competition.
The Extension Dean (PROEX) and UFSC Law School gave us financial help for our participation in the competition to be possible.
The team achieved the following results:
– Best Memorandum for Respondent;
– 5th best Memorandum for Claimant;
– 2nd place in the general rounds, which takes into account both the memoranda and the oral rounds score;
– 3rd place in the qualifying oral rounds;
– 2nd best Memoranda score, which takes into account both Memorandum for Claimant and Memorandum for Respondent score;
– Reaching the quarter finals;
– Two speakers amongst the top 10 of the competition: Gabriel Masiero in 4th place and Marco Antônio Pascoali in 8th place.
That was the first time a team from the state of Santa Catarina participated in the dispute, and also the best result ever obtained by a team from Santa Catarina in an arbitration moot in Brazil.
In the next weeks, we will begin the selection process for the students who will represent UFSC at the X CAMARB, the greates arbitration moot in Brazil, to be held in October.
Curitiba Pre-MootPublicado em 17/03/2019 às 10:05 PM
On March 16th and 17th, the UFSC Team was in Curitiba to participate in the Curitiba Pre-Moot, which was held at Universidade Positivo. This was the second preparatory moot we participated in this year.
We thank PUC-SP, UFPR, FGV-RJ and PUC-PR for the great pleadings. Congratulations to Unipê for winning the first position!
CAM-CCBC Pre-MootPublicado em 17/02/2019 às 10:58 PM
On February 17th and 18th, the UFSC Team participated in its first pre-moot of the year, the CAM-CCBC Pre-Moot, in Sao Paulo. The Pre-Moots are preparatory moots for the Vis Moot, the biggest arbitration moot in the world, which will happen in April, in Vienna.
In the event, which gathered teams from many parts of Brazil and also from Argentina, team UFSC had the opportunity to meet Professor Ingeborg Schwenzer. Professor Ingeborg is one of the greates scholars on arbitration, and was invited to arbitrate the finals of the moot.
Arbitration Academy ProgramPublicado em 17/01/2019 às 01:58 PM
To the ones who have an interest on international arbitration, we publish the Arbitration Academy program, which will happen from June 1st to July 19th 2019, in Paris.
The Academy is a great opportunity of learning and debating about international arbitration through the lectures ministered by renowned professors and professionals of the field.
Applications can be submitted until March 1st on the website.
More information on scholarships and the program itself can also be found on the link above.
GEArb in the event: 30 years of the Constitution under the optics of the UFSC law school groupsPublicado em 27/09/2018 às 10:15 AM
Yesterday, October 26th, Bettina Omizzolo and Gustavo Becker Monteiro, monitors of GEArb and coaches of the UFSC Team for the 26th Vis Moot, represented our study group in the event “30 years of the Federal Constitution under the optics of the UFSC Law School groups”. They spoke about international arbitration as a way of access to justice under the light of the Brazilian Federal Republic Constitution from 1988.
We congratulate our monitors for the exhibit, and also Grupo de Estudos em Direito Público – GEDIP and Centro Acadêmico XI de Fevereiro – CAXIF for promoting the event.